Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Eschatological Dream

Again, the flesh and blood of dead men are commonly eaten and drunk to inspire bravery, wisdom, or other qualities for which those men were remarkable, or which are supposed to have their special seat in the particular part consumed.  (The Golden Bough 464-65)
       I finally had a dream which incidentally coincided with my eschatology blog.  I awoke to someone knocking on my front door.  It was three in the morning and my mind instantly thought of police.  I stumbled down my long stairs and heard the distant cries of police sirens.  I felt very disoriented and peaked out of the corner of my window.  I visibly saw a man trying to knock on my front door with his head, not in a violent manner, but in a dull and lifeless way.  I slowly backed up and ran into a wall, making a huge noise.  I started to see the outline of hands pounding on the windows outside.  My heart raced and I ran upstairs to grab any available weapon.  All of a sudden I found myself armed to the teeth in weapons.  I felt so scared and helpless against the apocalypse that was before me.  Everything became a blur and I was performing moves that have only been seen in movies.  The amount of zombies began to come in hordes and I began to feel like a trapped mouse.  My brain must have noticed my distress and I woke up scrambling out of bed.  Instantly I began to turn on every light in the house and checked my body for bite marks.  The realism of my dream was still saturated in my mind. 
       Eschatology is infused in the back of my mind and I constantly feed it with the appropriate "media junk food."  I am willing to confess my obsession with zombie paraphernalia, and feel that the apocalypse should be taken with a grain of salt.  I'm sure that cataclysmic events will unfold, but I am not willing to admit as to how. 
    One of the many sources for "end of days" fans, are books.  My favorite book in particular is The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.  This book does not have zombies, but instead the substitute of cannibals.  The idea of people consuming human flesh is disturbing on many levels.  According to The Golden Bough, consumption of your enemies' flesh is avidly supported: "Just as the savage thinks he can swallow the moral and other virtues in the shape of food, so he fondly imagines that he can inoculate himself with them" (465).  By eating flesh, you are imbibing that persons' strength and soul.  A perfect example of this idea is the movie Ravenous, a man is found alone in the woods and is later found to be a cannibal.  I do not wish to disturb anyone with my observations, but our culture has been invaded with the idea of cannibalism.  This leads me to believe that our world is destined for the end, turning towards such savageries.   

No comments:

Post a Comment