Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sublime - impressing the mind with a sense of grandeur or power (dictionary defintion)

    
"The explanation here given of the custom of killing divine persons assumes, or at least is readily combined with, the idea that the soul of the slain divinity is transmitted to his successor."                     (Frazer 247)
      This quote from The Golden Bough gave me the thought of sublime.  How the nature of murder is portrayed, and how a king must feel, knowing that he'll die.  "With great power comes great responsibility" (Stan Lee).  I was trying to think of when I had a sublime experience and myself at a complete loss.  Then I remembered the first time I actually felt fear, and the after effects. 
   I was six years old, and my parents had just bought a couple of horses.  We decided to take these new animals out for a spin, and enjoy the beautiful summer day.  The horses were pretty calm and we had traveled a couple miles away from home.  My mom began to panic, because the sky had darkened and the air began to feel chilly.  Dad was not so worried and told us to keep moving forward.  The wind began to kick up tumbleweeds and drops of water slowly fell.  My dad decided that we should turn around and go home.  As we were turning the horses toward our house, the rain started to force its way down.  Lightning and thunder streaked across the scenery and I remember seeing the panic in my dad's face.  Next thing we know, golf ball-size hail began to drop, and we had no shelter.  Nature had decided to hit us with everything she had, and I vividly recall how my face being stung with hail and rain.  It felt as though we would never make it back home.  A friend of the family drove by in his pickup and saw us struggling against the weather.  He stopped and offered to take me home while my parents walked the horses back in the storm.  By the time I got home, the weather had changed as if nothing had even happened.  The sun peeked out and slowly warmed the air.  The birds even came out and chirped, as if mocking our struggle with nature.  I was so confused by all of these chaotic feelings.  In fact, it was surreal to feel fear one moment, and then being in awe of the beauty produced by such terror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment